Monday, March 1, 2010

It's all over

One of the notable tragedies of my childhood was the discontinuance of Family Ties. I still remember the last episode and the way I felt as the cast all took the stage one last time. I'm not sure if I cried or not, but I definitely remember writing about it in my red journal. Its ending made me lonely. And is anyone else crazy enough to remember the song that played on the last episode? Could they have made it any more painful?

And then a couple years ago, I was introduced to Pam and Jim over at The Office, just in time to catch the last few episodes of the second season. No matter, though. Brian and I rushed right out as soon as we could and rented the first and second seasons. We sat night after night in front of the TV, laughing and bonding with our new friends. And I was vicariously living out practically the greatest romance of all time. I felt a little unfaithful--to be honest. I couldn't get enough. I was devastated the night we watched the last episode and I woke up sad and lonely--maybe even more so than when Alex left home (and left me) for a stupid job on Wall Street. I felt the same way I felt as a girl when Emily's family would leave after having been at our house for a while. I'd sulk around the house hoping to find a shirt or a sock left behind to comfort me. This time my friends were gone, and they had left no socks. I called out in my mind, Pam? Jim?.....Dwight? Anyone? I was alone.

That's kinda the way I feel every time the Olympics comes and goes. It's not that I feel like I'm making and then losing friends, though. It's that I feel like for a couple weeks I'm participating in something that is uniting my country, and the world, for that matter, and then it's all over and we're all back to living separate existences. Do you know what I mean? You know how I feel about cheering. So cheering with and for my country is big. And I'm sad when it ends.

So anyway...I'm lonely.

5 comments:

Seth said...

I feel that same way when I have a full plate of food and I scarf it really quickly and then it's just all gone. No I'm kidding. I totally know what you mean.

Mim said...

I've totally been having Olympic remorse.
We just bought Beauty and the Beast which is one of my all time favorites, and one that I watched repeatedly in highschool. Now Josie has been watching it a lot, and every time it ends I get this heartache in my chest. It's like life is so good during the movie, and then it ends, and it's back to normal life.

april said...

Well don't worry. Pam and Jim will be back on Thursday night to hopefully comfort you in your time of need ;)

campblondie said...

I haven't checked in with you in so long! I got sucked into school and haven't resurfaced yet. Anyway, I feel the same way about the olympics it kind of feels like a vacation or something. I must admit I think my kids are lonlier (is that a word?) for it than I am. They stayed up past bedtime many a night because of those games.

Jordan and Jodi said...

I guess I've missed your most recent blog posts---9th anniversary...WOW--that's gone by SO fast! Congrats! And your bed...FAB!...did you make it from the wood website--I just came across it YESTERDAY from a family member and WOW--I'm ready to start some new projects! Tell me your experience, that is if you did make your bed!